On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 05:49:20AM +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> David has submitted multiple patches for PG 12, one of which speeds up
> pruning of UPDATE/DELETE (I couldn't find it in the current CF, though.)
> What challenges are there for future versions, and which of them are being
> addressed by patches in progress for PG 12, and which issues are untouched?

Here's an known issue which I'm not sure is on anybody's list:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/4F989CD8.8020804%40strategicdata.com.au#4f989cd8.8020...@strategicdata.com.au
=> planning of UPDATE/DELETE (but not SELECT) takes huge amount of RAM when run
on parent with many childs.

We don't typically have UPDATEs, and those we do are against the child tables;
but ran into this last month with a manual query on parent causing OOM.  I
worked around it, but keep meaning to revisit to see if this changed at all in
v11 (very brief testing suggests not changed).

Justin