Hi,

shouldn't this give the same error message?

$ pg_basebackup --checkpoint=fast --format=t --compress --pgdata=/var/tmp/dummy
pg_basebackup: error: must specify output directory or backup target
pg_basebackup: hint: Try "pg_basebackup --help" for more information.

$ pg_basebackup --pgdata=/var/tmp/dummy  --checkpoint=fast --format=t --compress
pg_basebackup: option '--compress' requires an argument
pg_basebackup: hint: Try "pg_basebackup --help" for more information.

I don't see why the first case gives not the same message as the second,
especially as the "output directory" is specified.

Tested on v17 and devel, but I guess it was always like this.

Regards
Daniel