On Fri, Sep 27, 2024 at 12:03 PM Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilm...@ilmari.org>
wrote:

> It might also be worth mentioning cloudy block storage (e.g. AWS' EBS),
> which is typically backed by SSDs, but has extra network latency.

That seems a little too in the weeds for me, but wording suggestions are
welcome. To get things moving forward, I made a doc patch which changes a
few things, namely:

* Mentions the distinction between ssd and hdd right up front.
* Moves the tablespace talk to the very end, as tablespace use is getting
rarer (again, thanks in part to ssds)
* Mentions the capability to set per-database and per-role since we mention
per-tablespace.
* Removes a lot of the talk of caches and justifications for the 4.0
setting. While those are interesting, I've been tuning this parameter for
many years and never really cared about the "90% cache rate". The proof is
in the pudding: rpc is the canonical "try it and see" parameter. Tweak.
Test. Repeat.

Cheers,
Greg