On 07/17/2018 02:03 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
On 17 Jul 2018, at 19:11, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.duns...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

On 07/17/2018 12:04 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
Since DEBUG is not a defined loglevel, it seems superfluous to include it here.
It’s also omitted from the documentation so it should probably be omitted from
here.

+       {"debug", DEBUG2, true},
I treated this like we do for client_min_messages and log_min_messages - the
alias is there but I don;t think we document it either.

I don't mind removing it, was just trying to be consistent. It seems odd that
we would accept it in one place but not another.
Ooh..  I didn’t know that alias existed and didn’t find it when poking at the
code.  In that case I agree with you, the alias should stay so I withdraw that
comment.  I learned something new today =)

Committed with the doc fix belatedly.

I haven't added tests for auto_explain - I think that would be useful
but it's a separate project.
Agreeing that this would be beneficial, the attached patch (to apply on top of
the patch in question) takes a stab at adding tests for this new functionality.

In order to test plan output we need to support COSTS in the explain output, so
a new GUC auto_explain.log_costs is added.  We also need to not print the
duration, so as a hack this patch omits the duration if auto_explain.log_timing
is set to off and auto_explain.log_analyze is set off.  This is a hack and not
a nice overloading, but it seems overkill to add a separate GUC just to turn
off the duration, any better ideas on how support omitting the duration?
Great, I'll check it out.
I’m not sure it’s worth adding this much to the code just to be able to test
it, but it seemed like a good excercise to write to have something to reason
about.

I think it probably is, buit I'm not very happy about the hack, so I didn't commit it.  Please submit this to the next commitfest, possibly with a nicer way of managing the duration logging.

cheers

andrew