Hello,

However, the point of having hidden and/or undocumented functions fails me: they are hard/impossible to find if you do not know they exist from the start, and if you ever find one you do not know what they do without reading the source code in detail, eg to know what to give arguments to get an answer.

At first, we must decide in which cases users will use them. And I don't see such cases. I must to know how to grant privileges, how to revoke them and how to check existing priveleges. All theese tasks documented in GRANT, REVOKE commands and system catalog descriptions.

These are end-user needs.

There are also other needs, such as devs. I see no reason to make the developer work harder by not providing documentation about available functions. Tom mention the "acldefault" function that I did not know existed, and I have read the doc!

So I'm still favorable to documenting all functions:-)

Maybe there could be a special section about special/internal functions, separate from functions which are more of interest to the end-user? But for me this is already the purpose of the "System information" sections in the documentation. Maybe there could be another sub-section about aclitem related functions in the "System information" section for these.

Your's patch from another thread closes the last hole - describing default privileges in various psql commands.

Yep.

--
Fabien.