> Just skimming the thread but I'd have to say being able to leverage
> pg_dump's dependency resolution is a major reason for adding features to it
> instead sticking to writing psql scripts.  This feature in a multi-tenant
> situation is something with, I suspect, reasonably wide appeal.

That I would agree with if in fact it's true people want that, but that
wasn't how the problem trying to be solved was communicated.  From what I
read in the initial examples given, just using psql is more than sufficient
in those cases.

I will grant that copying the structure and data at the same time would be
much easier, however.  Because using psql, you need pg_dump to create your
structure then a separate psql script to copy the data.

But again with --data-only examples given, it's so easy to do that with
psql copy I just don't understand the value of the feature unless you
really are saying you require the dependency resolution.

I agree with some of the hesitation of complicating the syntax and allowing
too much customization for what pg_dump is designed for.  Really, if you
need more customization, copy gives you that.  So I don't personally
consider it a missing feature because both tools have different uses and I
haven't found that any of this disrupts my workflow.  FWIW...

Thanks,
Jeremy