On 10/01/2018 12:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> writes:
On 2018-10-01 12:13:57 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Yeah.  So our choices are

(1) Retain the current restriction on what sort comparators can
produce.  Find all the places where memcmp's result is returned
directly, and fix them.  (I wonder if strcmp has same issue.)

(2) Drop the restriction.  This'd require at least changing the
DESC correction, and maybe other things.  I'm not sure what the
odds would be of finding everyplace we need to check.

Neither one is sounding very pleasant, or maintainable.
(2) seems more maintainable to me (or perhaps less unmaintainable). It's
infrastructure, rather than every datatype + support out there...
I guess we could set up some testing infrastructure: hack int4cmp
and/or a couple other popular comparators so that they *always*
return INT_MIN, 0, or INT_MAX, and then see what falls over.

I'm fairly sure that btree, as well as the sort code proper,
has got an issue here.

I agree option 2 seems less unmaintainable. (Nice use of litotes there?)

cheers

andrew