Hi Fabrizio,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 1:21 AM Fabrízio Mello <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2026 at 4:58 AM Daniel Gustafsson <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Your email didn't motivate why this extension should be in core instead
> of
> > maintained as an external extension?
> >
>
> Thanks Daniel, that's a fair point, and after Nikolay's strong case for
> core [1] I'm convinced this belongs there: error counters by SQLSTATE
> are fundamental monitoring, counters are far easier to expose to
> monitoring systems than log access (which mixes diagnostics with
> statements and potentially sensitive data), and external extensions
> take a long time to propagate to managed platforms, if ever.
>
> So here is v2, reworked from a contrib module into a builtin cumulative
> statistics kind with a core view.  Summary of what changed:
>

Thanks for the updated patch!

I did not look at it in details, just at what outcome it would provide and I
think it would also
make sense to provide this information on a per-backend basis. There is
ongoing work
to redesign the per-backend statistics infrastructure [1], which, I think,
might be worth
considering for this feature.

[1] https://postgr.es/m/anCjoFkGah/uB7lw%40bdtpg

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases
Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com

Reply via email to