Hello Tatsuo-san,

pgbench doc (and some comments in pgbench.c) regarding "-M prepared" option is not quite correct. [...] Actually "extended" mode uses prepared statements too.

Ok, I understand that you mean that PQsendQueryParams uses an unamed query internally to separate parsing & execution, which seems indeed to be the case by looking at the libpq client-side code.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the params version always sends and possibly reparses the query each time (is there a server side cache to avoid re-parsing? a quick scan in the sources did not return a clear answer to this question, but I think to recall that the answer is yes).

Patch attached.

Patch applies cleanly, compiles, doc generation ok, global & local tests are ok.

I'm fine having a more precise wording.

Maybe I would have also insisted on the fact that there is an explicit vs an implicit PREPARE, if it relies on a server-side cache. The "extended"
documentation entry does not say that it is prepared.

I created an entry in the CF and marked the patch as ready anyway.

--
Fabien.