> I think having a bin/pg_logparse tool that can parse postgres' config
> file and attempt to parse the log contents in whatever format they are
> would be much much more useful. Obviously not every log_line_prefix can
> be parsed unambiguously, but a lot of formats can, and a lot more
> formats can be made unambiguous (e.g. adding escape logic to application
> name logging would be very useful).

Aren't application names set by the client? If they are currently logged
without escaping, couldn't a client insert arbitrary binary content such as
terminal control sequences into log files, with potentially unpleasant
results? Or is there some sort of filter already in place somewhere? Should
I investigate?