On 12/02/2019 06:44, Lætitia Avrot wrote:
Hi Andrew and Tom,

I considered that option before writing my patch but I refrained for 2 reasons:

- There is no consensus about how to name these functions. The standard 8000-2 goes with arsinh, arcosh and artanh,   but you will find easily arcsinh, arccosh and arctanh or even argsinh, argcosh and argtanh. In IT, the names asinh,   acosh and atanh are commonly used too. We might implement them with asinh, acosh and atanh names and add
  aliases if SQL standard decide to add it under other names though.
[...]

Le dim. 3 févr. 2019 à 16:12, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us <mailto:t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>> a écrit :

    Andrew Gierth <and...@tao11.riddles.org.uk
    <mailto:and...@tao11.riddles.org.uk>> writes:
    > The spec doesn't require the inverse functions (asinh, acosh,
    atanh),
    > but surely there is no principled reason to omit them?

    +1 --- AFAICS, the C library has offered all six since C89.

                            regards, tom lane

[...]

I can only remember coming across the asinh, acosh, and atanh forms.  In 45 years of programming.

Cheers,
Gavin