Bonjour Michaƫl,

If the block size the tool is compiled with does not match the data
folder block size, then users would get incorrect checksums failures,

Or worse, incorrect checksump writing under "enabling"?

Initial proposal:

 "%s: data directory block size %d is different to compiled-in block size %d.\n"

Has somebody a better wording for that?  Attached is a proposal of
patch.

 "%s: database files are incompatible with pg_checksums.\n"
 "%s: The database cluster was initialized with BLCKSZ %u, but pg_checksums was
compiled with BLCKSZ %u."

Second line is missing a "\n". "pg_checksums" does not need to appear, it is already the progname, and if it differs there is no point in giving a wrong name. I think it could be shorter. What about:

 "%s: cannot compute checksums, command compiled with BLCKSZ %u but cluster
initialized with BLCKSZ %u.\n"

I think it would be better to adapt the checksum computation, but this is indeed non trivial because of the way the BLCKSZ constant is hardwired into type declarations.

--
Fabien.