Hello Raymond,

Note that this does not mean that the patch should not be applied, it looks like an oversight, but really I do not have the performance degradation you are suggesting.

I appreciate your input and I want to come up with a canonical test that makes this contention more obvious. Unfortunately, it is difficult because the criteria that causes this slow down (large query sizes and distinct non-repeated queries) are difficult to reproduce with pgbench. I would be open to any suggestions here.

So even though the performance gains in this specific scenario are not as great, do you still think it would make sense to submit a patch like this?

Sure, it definitely makes sense to reduce the overhead when the extension is disabled. I wanted to understand the source of performance issue, and your explanations where not enough for reproducing it.

--
Fabien.