On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 02:14:54PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 10:28:43AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
No, wait, scratch that.  We could fold the three existing types
pg_ndistinct, pg_dependencies, pg_mcv_list into one new type, say
"pg_stats_ext_data", where the actual storage would need to have an
ID field (so we'd waste a byte or two duplicating the externally
visible stxkind field inside stxdata).  The output function for this
type is just a switch over the existing code.  The big advantage of
this way compared to the current approach is that adding a new
ext-stats type requires *zero* work with adding new catalog entries.
Just add another switch case in pg_stats_ext_data_out() and you're
done.

The annoying thing is that this undoes the protections provided by special
data types generated only in internally. It's not possible to generate
e.g. pg_mcv_list values in user code (except for C code, at which points
all bets are off anyway). By abandoning this and reverting to bytea anyone
could craft a bytea and claim it's a statistic value.

That would have been true of the original proposal, but not of this
modified one.

Oh, right. It still has the disadvantage that it obfuscates the actual
data stored in the pg_stats_ext_data (or whatever would it be called),
so e.g. functions would have to do additional checks to make sure it
actually is the right statistic type. For example pg_mcv_list_items()
could not rely on receiving pg_mcv_list values, as per the signature,
but would have to check the value.

Of course, I don't expect to have too many such functions, but overall
this approach with a single type feels a bit too like EAV to my taste.

I think Dean is right we should not expect many more statistic types
than what we already have - a histogram, and perhaps one or two more. So
I agree with Dean the current design with separate statistic types is
not such a big issue.

regards