On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 17:14, Rafia Sabih <rafia.pghack...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding this, I came across this,
> /*
>   * Incremental sort can't be used with either EXEC_FLAG_REWIND,
>   * EXEC_FLAG_BACKWARD or EXEC_FLAG_MARK, because we hold only current
>   * bucket in tuplesortstate.
>   */
> I think that is quite understandable. How are you planning to support
> backwards scan for this? In other words, when will incremental sort be
> useful for backward scan.

We stopped materializing the sort by default about 15 years ago because it
wasn't a common use case and it was very expensive for large sorts.

It's no real problem if incremental sorts don't support backwards scans -
we just won't use incremental in that case.

<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>
PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise