My 0.02 €

It seems entirely crazy that encode() and decode() are no longer in the same section, likewise that convert_from() and convert_to() aren't documented together anymore.

Awkward, yes.  But findable if you know what the categories are.

I suppose there could be 3 different categories: those that input
and output strings, those that input and output binary, and those
that convert -- inputting one data type and outputting another.

Personnaly, I'd be ok with having a separate "conversion function" table, and also with Tom suggestion to have string functions with "only simple string" functions, and if any binary appears it is moved into the binary section.

--
Fabien.