On 8/4/19 11:08 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 8/4/19 10:52 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jk...@postgresql.org> writes:
>>> Perhaps instead of "June" it could be the specific version number (which
>>> could cause some pain with the back branching?) or the "2019-06-20" release?
>>
>> Putting in all the version numbers seems like a mess, but specifying
>> 2019-06-20 would work --- or we could say "the most recent" minor
>> releases?
>
> That or "previous minor release" would seem to work.
>
> (In the PR I'm putting in the versions it was introduced but we have the
> luxury of only having one PR.)

Attached is the first draft of the PR.

Jonathan
2019-08-08 Cumulative Update
============================

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group has released an update to all supported
versions of our database system, including 11.5, 10.10, 9.6.15, 9.5.19, and
9.4.24, as well as the third beta of PostgreSQL 12. This release fixes over 40
bugs reported since the last release.

Users should plan to apply this update at the next scheduled downtime.

A Note on the PostgreSQL 12 Beta
--------------------------------

In the spirit of the open source PostgreSQL community, we strongly encourage you
to test the new features of PostgreSQL 12 in your database systems to help us
eliminate any bugs or other issues that may exist. While we do not advise you to
run PostgreSQL 12 Beta 3 in your production environments, we encourage you to
find ways to run your typical application workloads against this beta release.

Your testing and feedback will help the community ensure that the PostgreSQL 12
release upholds our standards of providing a stable, reliable release of the
world's most advanced open source relational database.

Bug Fixes and Improvements
--------------------------

This update also fixes over 40 bugs that were reported in the last several
months. Some of these issues affect only version 11, but many affect all
supported versions.

Some of these fixes include:

* Fix for `ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN TYPE` when multiple column types are
modified in a single-command. This issue was introduced in the previous
cumulative update (11.4, 10.9, 9.6.14, 9.5.18, 9.4.23, and 12 beta 2).
* Ensure that partition key columns will not be dropped as the result of an
"indirect drop," such as from a cascade from dropping the key column's data
type (e.g. a custom data type). This fix is applied only to newly created
partitioned tables: if you believe you have an affected partition table (e.g.
one where the partition key uses a custom data type), you will need to
create a new table and move your data into it.
* Prevent dropping a partitioned table's trigger if there are pending trigger
events in child partitions. This particularly affects foreign key constraints,
which are implemented by triggers.
* Several additional fixes for partitioning, including a fix for partition
pruning that could lead to inefficient queries.
* Fix for parallel hash joins that could lead to duplicate result rows in
`EXISTS` queries.
* Several fixes for the query planner.
* Several fixes for issues that would lead to query deadlocks.
* Fix for multi-column foreign keys when rebuilding a foreign key constraint,
* Prevent extended statistics from being built for inherited tables.
* Fix for the canonicalization of date ranges that include `-infinity`/`infinity`
endpoints to ensure the behavior matches the documentation.
* Fix loss of fractional digits when converting very large `money` values to
`numeric`.
* Fix for PL/pgSQL functions that return composite types.
* Make libpq ignore the `\r` carriage return in connection service files, which
was causing connection failures in some edge cases.
* Several fixes for `psql`, which includes avoiding incorrect tab completion
options after `SET variable =`.
* Improve reliability of `contrib/amcheck`'s index verification.
* Set `initdb` to prefer the timezone behavior defined by the C library instead
of what is defined by `localtime` or `posixrules`. This ensures PostgreSQL uses
the "real" timezone name instead of an artificial name.
* Fix `pg_dump` to ensure that custom operator classes are dumped in the correct
order to prevent creating an unrestorable dump.
* Fix possible lockup in `pgbench` when using -R option.
* Fix spinlock assembly code for MIPS CPUs so that it works on MIPS r6.

This update also contains tzdata release 2019b for DST law changes in Brazil,
plus historical corrections for Hong Kong, Italy, and Palestine. This update
also adds support for zic's new -b slim option to reduce the size of the
installed zone files, though it is not currently being used by PostgreSQL.

For more details, you can read the full copy of the release notes here:

[https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/)

Updating
--------

All PostgreSQL update releases are cumulative. As with other minor releases,
users are not required to dump and reload their database or use `pg_upgrade` in
order to apply this update release; you may simply shutdown PostgreSQL and
update its binaries.

Users who have skipped one or more update releases may need to run additional,
post-update steps; please see the release notes for earlier versions for
details.

PostgreSQL 9.4 will stop receiving fixes on February 13, 2020. Please see our
[versioning policy](https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/) for more
information.

Testing for Bugs & Compatibility
--------------------------------

The stability of each PostgreSQL release greatly depends on you, the community,
to test the upcoming version with your workloads and testing tools in order to
find bugs and regressions before the general availability of PostgreSQL 12. As
this is a Beta, minor changes to database behaviors, feature details, and APIs
are still possible. Your feedback and testing will help determine the final
tweaks on the new features, so please test in the near future. The quality of
user testing helps determine when we can make a final release.

A list of [open issues](https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_12_Open_Items)
is publicly available in the PostgreSQL wiki.  You can
[report bugs](https://www.postgresql.org/account/submitbug/) using this form on
the PostgreSQL website:

https://www.postgresql.org/account/submitbug/

Beta Schedule
-------------

This is the third beta release of version 12. The PostgreSQL Project will
release additional betas as required for testing, followed by one or more
release candidates, until the final release in late 2019. For further
information please see the [Beta Testing](https://www.postgresql.org/developer/beta/) page.

Links
-----
* [Download](https://www.postgresql.org/download/)