On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 02:34:31PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 1:44 PM Justin Pryzby <pry...@telsasoft.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 01:09:19PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 3:15 PM Peter Geoghegan <p...@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > I was reminded of this issue from last year, which also appeared to
> > involve BufFileClose() and a double-free:
> >
> > https://postgr.es/m/87y3hmee19....@news-spur.riddles.org.uk
> >
> > That was a BufFile that was under the control of a tuplestore, so it
> > was similar to but different from your case. I suspect it's related.
>
> Hmm.  tuplestore.c follows the same coding pattern as nodeHashjoin.c:
> it always nukes its pointer after calling BufFileFlush(), so it
> shouldn't be capable of calling it twice for the same pointer, unless
> we have two copies of that pointer somehow.
>
> Merlin's reported a double-free apparently in ExecHashJoin(), not
> ExecHashJoinNewBatch() like this report.  Unfortunately that tells us
> very little.

Here's another one:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20170601081104.1500.56202%40wrigleys.postgresql.org

Hmm.  Also on RHEL/CentOS 6, and also involving sorting, hashing,
BufFileClose() but this time the glibc double free error is in
repalloc().

And another one (repeatedly happening):

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/3976998C-8D3B-4825-9B10-69ECB70A597A%40appnexus.com

Also on RHEL/CentOS 6, this time a sort in once case and a hash join
in another case.

Of course it's entirely possible that we have a bug here and I'm very
keen to find it, but I can't help noticing the common factor here is
that they're all running ancient RHEL 6.x releases, except Merlin who
didn't say.  Merlin?

It'd be interesting to know the exact glibc version for those machines.

regards