On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 11:12 AM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> That argument presupposes (a) manual execution of the creation query,
> and (b) that the user pays close attention to the NOTICE output.
> Unfortunately, I think our past over-use of notices has trained
> people to ignore them.

Our past overuse aside, it's just easy to ignore chatter. It often
happens to me that I realize 10 minutes after I did something that I
didn't look carefully enough at the output ... which is usually
followed by an attempt to scroll back through my terminal buffer to
find it. But after a few thousand lines of subsequent output that's
hard. So I like the idea of making the information available
on-demand, rather than only at creation time.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company