On 2019-09-17 15:08, Daniel Verite wrote:
When trying databases defined with ICU locales, I see that backends
that serve such databases seem to have their LC_CTYPE inherited from
the environment (as opposed to a per-database fixed value).

fr-utf8=# select to_tsvector('été');
ERROR:  invalid multibyte character for locale
HINT:  The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
database encoding.

I looked into this problem. The way to address this would be adding proper collation support to the text search subsystem. See the TODO markers in src/backend/tsearch/ts_locale.c for starting points. These APIs spread out to a lot of places, so it will take some time to finish. In the meantime, I'm pausing this thread and will set the CF entry as RwF.