On 2019-11-08 05:00, Grigory Smolkin wrote:
Attached new patch revision, now end of available WAL is defined as the
fact of missing required WAL.
In case of standby, the end of WAL is defined as 2 consecutive switches
of WAL source, that didn`t provided requested record.
In case of streaming standby, each switch of WAL source is forced after
3 failed attempts to get new data from walreceiver.

All constants are taken off the top of my head and serves as proof of
concept.

Well, this is now changing the meaning of the patch quite a bit. I'm on board with making the existing default behavior explicit. (This is similar to how we added recovery_target_timeline = 'current' in PG12.) Still not a fan of the name yet, but that's trivial.

If, however, you want to change the default behavior or introduce a new behavior, as you are suggesting here, that should be a separate discussion.