On 2019-12-03 12:44, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:09 PM Michael Paquier <mich...@paquier.xyz <mailto:mich...@paquier.xyz>> wrote:

    On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 10:10:57AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
     > Is 1.0.1 considered a separate major from 1.0.0, in this
    reasoning? Because
     > while retiring 1.0.0 should probably not be that terrible, 1.0.1
    is still
     > in very widespread use on most long term supported distributions.

    1.0.1 and 1.0.0 are two different major releases in the OpenSSL world,
    so my suggestion would be to cut support for everything which does not
    have TLSv1.2, meaning that we keep compatibility with 1.0.1 for
    a longer period.

Good, that's what I thought you meant :) And that makes it sound like a working plan to me.

This would mean we'd stop support for RHEL 5, which is probably OK, seeing that even the super-extended support ends in November 2020.

Dropping RHEL 5 would also allow us to drop support for Python 2.4, which is something I've been itching to do. ;-)

In both of these cases, maintaining support for all these ancient versions is a significant burden IMO, so it would be good to clean up the tail end a bit.