On 12/3/19 5:24 PM, Ranier Vilela wrote:
Hi,
I believe PostgreSQL can benefit from changing the alert level of compilation
warnings.
The current Level3 level for windows does not show any alerts, but that does
not mean that there are no problems.
Changing the level to Level4 and its equivalent for GCC in Unix environments
will show many warnings for shadow variables, including global variables.
True, there will also be many silly alerts that can be safely disabled.
Shadow variables, although they may not currently represent bugs, may be hiding
errors, or at the very least, it is a waste of variable declaration.
With the current Level3 level, development is no longer checking and correcting
shadow variables.

Any comments?

I suggested increasing the default warnings in an email some time ago,
to which Tom made reasonable objections.  You might want to take a
look at his comments, and consider if you can overcome the concerns
he had:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/25938.1487367117%40sss.pgh.pa.us

and

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/30007.1487374499%40sss.pgh.pa.us