On 2020-01-10 14:41, Robert Haas wrote:
This rule very nearly matches the current behavior: it explains why
temp table operations are allowed, and why ALTER SYSTEM is allowed,
and why REINDEX etc. are allowed. However, there's a notable
exception: PREPARE, COMMIT PREPARED, and ROLLBACK PREPARED are allowed
in a read-only transaction. Under the "doesn't change pg_dump output"
criteria, the first and third ones should be permitted but COMMIT
PREPARED should be denied, except maybe if the prepared transaction
didn't do any writes (and in that case, why did we bother preparing
it?). Despite that, this rule does a way better job explaining the
current behavior than anything else suggested so far.

I don't follow.  Does pg_dump dump prepared transactions?