On 12.02.2020 13:12, Hubert Zhang wrote:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 1:20 AM Konstantin Knizhnik <k.knizh...@postgrespro.ru <mailto:k.knizh...@postgrespro.ru>> wrote:

    So looks like PG-13 provides significant advantages in OLAP
    queries comparing with 9.6!
    Definitely it doesn't mean that vectorized executor is not needed
    for new version of Postgres.
    Once been ported, I expect that it should provide comparable
    improvement of performance.

    But in any case I think that vectorized executor makes sense only
    been combine with columnar store.

Thanks for the test. +1 on vectorize should be combine with columnar store. I think when we support this extension
on master, we could try the new zedstore.
I'm not active on this work now, but will continue when I have time. Feel free to join bring vops's feature into this extension.
Thanks

Hubert Zhang

I have ported vectorize_engine to the master.
It takes longer than I expected: a lot of things were changed in executor.

Results are the following:

par.warkers
        PG9_6
vectorize=off
        PG9_6
vectorize=on
        master
vectorize=off
jit=on
        master
vectorize=off
jit=off         master
vectorize=on
jit=ofn         master
vectorize=on
jit=off
0
        36
        20
        16
        25.5
        15
        17.5
4
        10
        -
        5       7
        -
        -

So it proves the theory that JIT provides almost the same speedup as vector executor (both eliminates interpretation overhead but in different way). I still not sure that we need vectorized executor: because with standard heap it provides almost no improvements comparing with current JIT version. But in any case I am going to test it with vertical storage (zedstore or cstore).

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company