On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 02:52:44PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
FWIW I'm not suggesting you go and implement #1 or #2 for me, that'd be
up to me I guess. But I disagree there's no use case for it, and #3
makes this featuer useless for me.

OK, then we need to do something else.  Do you have ideas for other
alternatives?

I don't have any other ideas, unfortunately. And I think if I had one,
it'd probably be some sort of ugly hack anyway :-/

If not, we probably should bite the bullet and go for #1, since
I have little doubt that we'll need that someday anyway.
The trick will be to keep down the cache invalidation overhead...

Yeah, I agree #1 seems like the cleanest/best option. Are you worried
about the overhead due to the extra complexity, or overhead due to
cache getting invalidated for this particular reason?

regards