On 3/29/20 9:07 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2020-03-29 20:42:35 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
What do you think of having the verification process also call pg_waldump to
validate the WAL CRCs (shown upthread)?  That looked helpful and simple.

I don't love calls to external binaries, but I think the thing that
really bothers me is that pg_waldump is practically bound to terminate
with an error, because the last WAL segment will end with a partial
record.

I don't think that's the case here. You should know the last required
record, which should allow to specify the precise end for pg_waldump. If
it errors out reading to that point, we'd be in trouble.

Exactly. All WAL generated during the backup should read fine with pg_waldump or there is a problem.

--
-David
da...@pgmasters.net