Hello,

FWIW, I don't think so. Generally a trailing backspace is an escape
character for the following newline.  And '\ ' is a escaped space,
which is usualy menas a space itself.

In this case escape character doesn't work generally and I think it is natural that a backslash in the middle of a line is a backslash character itself.

I concur: The backslash char is only a continuation as the very last character of the line, before cr/nl line ending markers.

There are no assumption about backslash escaping, quotes and such, which seems reasonable given the lexing structure of the files, i.e. records of space-separated words, and # line comments.

--
Fabien.