On 2020/04/09 22:31, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 5:59 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fu...@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

On 2020/04/08 18:31, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 05:37:27PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

On 2020/04/03 16:26, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
On Thu, Apr 02, 2020 at 01:04:28PM -0700, legrand legrand wrote:
Fujii Masao-4 wrote
On 2020/04/01 18:19, Fujii Masao wrote:

Finally I pushed the patch!
Many thanks for all involved in this patch!

As a remaining TODO item, I'm thinking that the document would need to
be improved. For example, previously the query was not stored in pgss
when it failed. But, in v13, if pgss_planning is enabled, such a query is
stored because the planning succeeds. Without the explanation about
that behavior in the document, I'm afraid that users will get confused.
Thought?

Thank you all for this work and especially to Julian for its major
contribution !

Thanks a lot to everyone!  This was quite a long journey.

Regarding the TODO point: Yes I agree that it can be improved.
My proposal:

"Note that planning and execution statistics are updated only at their
respective end phase, and only for successfull operations.
For exemple executions counters of a long running SELECT query,
will be updated at the execution end, without showing any progress
report in the interval.
Other exemple, if the statement is successfully planned but fails in
the execution phase, only its planning statistics are stored.
This may give uncorrelated plans vs calls informations."

Thanks for the proposal!

There are numerous reasons for lack of correlation between number of planning
and number of execution, so I'm afraid that this will give users the false
impression that only failed execution can lead to that.

Here's some enhancement on your proposal:

"Note that planning and execution statistics are updated only at their
respective end phase, and only for successful operations.
For example the execution counters of a long running query
will only be updated at the execution end, without showing any progress
report before that.

Probably since this is not the example for explaining the relationship of
planning and execution stats, it's better to explain this separately or just
drop it?

What about the attached patch based on your proposals?

Thanks Fuji-san, it looks perfect to me!

Thanks for the check! Pushed!

Thanks a lot Fuji-san!

For the record, the commit is available, but I didn't receive the
usual mail, and it's also not present in the archives apparently:
https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-committers/since/202004090000/
(although Amit's latest commit was delivered as expected).

Yes.

Given your previous discussion with Magnus, I'm assuming that your
address is now allowed to post for a year. I'm not sure what went
wrong here, so I'm adding Magnus in Cc.

Thanks! I also reported the issue in pgsql-www.

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center