On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 06:48:59AM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
Em sáb., 9 de mai. de 2020 às 01:45, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> escreveu:

James Coleman <jtc...@gmail.com> writes:
> There are always full sort groups before any prefix groups can happen,
> so we know (even though the tooling doesn't) that the 2nd test can
> never contradict the first.

So maybe an assertion enforcing that would be appropriate?
Untested, but:

-                       if (fullsortGroupInfo->groupCount == 0 &&
-                               prefixsortGroupInfo->groupCount == 0)
+                       if (fullsortGroupInfo->groupCount == 0)
+                       {
+                               Assert(prefixsortGroupInfo->groupCount ==
0);
                                continue;

I agree, asserts always help.

That doesn't work, because the prefixSortGroupInfo is used before
assignment, producing compile-time warnings.

I've pushed a simpler fix without the assert. If we want to make this
check, perhaps doing it in incremental sort itself would be better than
doing it in explain.

regards