Hi Michael,

I performed a quick test for the path "msvc-build-init-v2.patch" using below cases:

1. perl build.pl
2. perl build.pl debug psql
3. perl build.pl RELEASE psql
4. perl build.pl deBUG psql
5. perl build.pl psql
The above cases (case-insensitive) are all working great without any warning for latest master branch.

When build with more than 3 parameters, yes, I got below expected message as well.

c:\Users\david\Downloads\postgres\src\tools\msvc>perl build.pl DEbug psql pg_baseback
Usage: build.pl [ [ <configuration> ] <component> ]
Options are case-insensitive.
configuration: Release | Debug. This sets the configuration
to build. Default is Release.
component: name of component to build. An empty value means
to build all components.

However, if I ask for help in a typical Windows' way, i.e, "perl build.pl -help" or "perl build.pl /?", I got some messages like below,

c:\Users\david\Downloads\postgres\src\tools\msvc>perl build.pl -help
Detected hardware platform: Win32
Files src/bin/pgbench/exprscan.l
Files src/bin/pgbench/exprparse.y
Files src/bin/psql/psqlscanslash.l
Files contrib/cube/cubescan.l
Files contrib/cube/cubeparse.y
Files contrib/seg/segscan.l
Files contrib/seg/segparse.y
Generating configuration headers...
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 16.5.1+4616136f8 for .NET Framework

MSBUILD : error MSB1001: Unknown switch.
Switch: -help.vcxproj

For switch syntax, type "MSBuild -help"

c:\Users\david\Downloads\postgres\src\tools\msvc>perl build.pl /?
Detected hardware platform: Win32
Files src/bin/pgbench/exprscan.l
Files src/bin/pgbench/exprparse.y
Files src/bin/psql/psqlscanslash.l
Files contrib/cube/cubescan.l
Files contrib/cube/cubeparse.y
Files contrib/seg/segscan.l
Files contrib/seg/segparse.y
Generating configuration headers...
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 16.5.1+4616136f8 for .NET Framework

MSBUILD : error MSB1001: Unknown switch.
Switch: /?.vcxproj

For switch syntax, type "MSBuild -help"

It would be a bonus if the build.pl can support the "help" in Windows' way.

Thanks,

David