On 7/8/20 5:17 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On 2020-Jul-08, David Steele wrote:

On 7/8/20 4:39 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

I think this phrasing in the original/updated version is pretty awkward:

+  A standby server that cannot be connected to until it is promoted to a
+  primary server is called a ...

Yeah.

How about:

+ A standby server that must be promoted to a primary server before
+ accepting connections is called a ...

How about just reducing it to "A standby server that doesn't accept
connection is called a ..."?  We don't really need to explain that if
you do promote the standby it will start accept connections -- do we?
It should be pretty obvious if you promote a standby, it will cease to
be a standby in the first place.  This verbiage seems excessive.

Works for me.

-David
da...@pgmasters.net