On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 01:17:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Agreed.  In theory there might be some point in removing leaks that happen
> per-statement, so as to avoid unreasonable memory bloat when processing an
> extremely long input file.  In practice nobody has complained about that,
> and if somebody did I'd probably question the sanity of putting so much
> code into one file.  (The C compiler would likely bloat even more while
> processing the output...)  Moreover, given the way the ecpg grammar works,
> it'd be really painful to avoid all such leaks, and it might well
> introduce bugs not fix them.

I got to wonder about that, and I don't quite see how to make all the
memory handling clean without having at least a concept of
per-statement memory context to make any cleanup easy once a statement
is done.  That's a lot of infrastructure for a case nobody really
complained about, indeed..

> In any case, if this TODO item is going to lead to ideas as dubious
> as "let's free progname before exiting", it's not helpful.

+1.  Agreed to just remove it.
--
Michael