> On Oct 10, 2020, at 12:14 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 12:24 AM David Christensen <da...@endpoint.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> -hackers,
>>
>> Enclosed find a patch to add a “truncate” option to subscription commands.
>>
>> When adding new tables to a subscription (either via `CREATE SUBSCRIPTION`
>> or `REFRESH PUBLICATION`), tables on the target which are being newly
>> subscribed will be truncated before the data copy step.  This saves explicit
>> coordination of a manual `TRUNCATE` on the target tables and allows the
>> results of the initial data sync to be the same as on the publisher at the
>> time of sync.
>>

> So IIUC, this will either truncate all the tables for a particular
> subscription or none?

Correct, when creating or altering the subscription all newly added tables
would be left alone (current behavior) or truncated (new functionality from the
patch).

> Is it possible that the user wants some of
> those tables to be truncated which made me think what exactly made you
> propose this feature? Basically, is it from user complaint, or is it
> some optimization that you think will be helpful to users?

This comes from my own experience with setting up/modifying subscriptions with
adding many multiple additional tables, some of which had data in the
subscribing node. I would have found this feature very helpful.

Thanks,

David