On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 9:43 AM Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:

> I don't know much about how to hook into that stuff so if you have an
> idea, I am all ears.

Yeah, I have a reasonable idea. The main thing will be to re-read the patch
and put it into more concrete terms, which I'll try to find time for soon.
I need to find time to craft a proper demo that uses a virtual hsm, and can
also demonstrate how to use the host TPM or a Yubikey using the simple
openssl engine interfaces or a URI.

 I have used OpenSSL with Yubikey via pksc11.  You
> can see the use of it on slide 57 and following:
>
>         https://momjian.us/main/writings/crypto_hw_config.pdf#page=57
>
> Interestingly, that still needed the user to type in a key to unlock the
> Yubikey, so we might need PKCS11 and a password for the same server
> start.

Yes, that's possible. But in that case the passphrase will be asked for by
openssl only when required, and we'll need to supply an openssl askpass
hook.