Hi Euler,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:16:26AM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
Hi,

Bug #16427 mentioned that temporary files are not removed after a crash. I
heard similar complaints from some customers. In the bug report [1], I
proposed a new GUC to control whether temporary files are removed after a
crash recovery. The current behavior is only useful for debugging purposes.
It also has an undesirable behavior: you have to restart the service to
reclaim the space. Interrupting the service continuity isn't always an
option and due to limited resources, you have no choice but to restart the
service.

The new GUC cleanup_temp_files_after_crash is marked as SIGHUP. Hence, you
can enable it to debug without service interruption. The default value is
on which means it changes the current behavior. Documentation and tests are
included.

I did a quick review and the patch seems fine to me. Let's wait for a
bit and see if there are any objections - if not, I'll get it committed
in the next CF.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether we should have the GUC as
proposed, or have a negative "keep_temp_files_after_restart" defaulting
to false. But I don't have a very good justification for the alternative
other than vague personal preference.

regards