On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 03:18:52PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 12:00:54PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
Given how simple the manual workaround is not having it be manual seems
like it would be safe and straight-forward to implement.

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a bit trickier in
practice, particularly for the CONCURRENTLY case. But I haven't tried.

Anyway, I think there's an agreement it'd be valuable to do this after
CREATE INDEX in the future, so if someone wants to implement it that'd
be great. We can consider backpatching only once we have an actual patch
anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm entirely *not* on board with that.  IMV it's
intentional that we do not force auto-analyze activity after CREATE
INDEX or CREATE STATISTICS.  If we change that, people will want a
way to opt out of it, and then your "simple" patch isn't so simple
anymore.

True. Some users may have reasons to not want the analyze, I guess.

 (Not that it was simple anyway.  What if the CREATE is
inside a transaction block, for instance?  There's no use in
kicking autovacuum before commit.)

I don't think anyone proposed to do this through autovacuum. There was a
reference to auto-analyze but I think that was meant as 'run analyze
automatically.' Which would work in transactions just fine, I think.

But I agree it'd likely be a more complicated patch than it might seem
at first glance.

regards