On 11/24/20, 4:03 PM, "tsunakawa.ta...@fujitsu.com"
<tsunakawa.ta...@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> From: Bossart, Nathan <bossa...@amazon.com>
>> The main purpose of this patch is to give users more control over their
>> manually
>> requested checkpoints or restartpoints.  I suspect the most useful option is
>> IMMEDIATE, which can help avoid checkpoint- related IO spikes.  However, I
>> didn't see any strong reason to prevent users from also adjusting FORCE and
>> WAIT.
>
> I think just IMMEDIATE would suffice, too.  But could you tell us why you got
> to want to give users more control?  Could we know concrete example
> situations where users want to perform CHECKPOINT with options?

It may be useful for backups taken with the "consistent snapshot"
approach.  As noted in the documentation [0], running CHECKPOINT
before taking the snapshot can reduce recovery time.  However, users
might wish to avoid the IO spike caused by an immediate checkpoint.

Nathan

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/backup-file.html