On 27.10.2020 11:34, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On 2020-09-25 09:40, Craig Ringer wrote:
While working on extensions I've often wanted to enable cache clobbering for a targeted piece of code, without paying the price of running it for all backends during postgres startup and any initial setup tasks that are required.

So here's a patch that, when CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS or CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVE are defined, adds a GUC named clobber_cache_depth . It defaults to 1 for CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS or 3 for CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVE to match the existing compiled-in behaviour. But with this change it's now possible to run Pg with clobber_cache_depth=0 then set it to 1 only for targeted tests.

clobber_cache_depth is treated as an unknown GUC if Pg was not built with CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS or CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVE defined.

I think it would be great if the cache clobber code is always compiled in (but turned off) when building with assertions.  The would reduce the number of hoops to jump through to actually use this locally and reduce the number of surprises from the build farm.

For backward compatibility, you can arrange it so that the built-in default of clobber_cache_depth is 1 or 3 if CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS or CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVE are defined.

Status update for a commitfest entry.

This thread was inactive during the commitfest, so I am going to mark it as "Returned with Feedback". Craig, are you planning to continue working on it? The proposed idea is great and it looks like the patch needs only a minor improvement.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company