On 30/11/2020 16:30, Jesper Pedersen wrote:
On 11/30/20 5:04 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 26/11/2020 16:58, Andy Fan wrote:
This patch has stopped moving for a while,  any suggestion about
how to move on is appreciated.

The question on whether UniqueKey.exprs should be a list of
EquivalenceClasses or PathKeys is unresolved. I don't have an opinion
on that, but I'd suggest that you pick one or the other and just go
with it. If it turns out to be a bad choice, then we'll change it.

In this case I think it is matter of deciding if we are going to use
EquivalenceClasses or Exprs before going further; there has been work
ongoing in this area for a while, so having a clear direction from a
committer would be greatly appreciated.

Plain Exprs are not good enough, because you need to know which operator the expression is unique on. Usually, it's the default = operator in the default btree opclass for the datatype, but it could be something else, too.

There's some precedence for PathKeys, as we generate PathKeys to represent the DISTINCT column in PlannerInfo->distinct_pathkeys. On the other hand, I've always found it confusing that we use PathKeys to represent DISTINCT and GROUP BY, which are not actually sort orderings. Perhaps it would make sense to store EquivalenceClass+opfamily in UniqueKey, and also replace distinct_pathkeys and group_pathkeys with UniqueKeys.

That's just my 2 cents though, others more familiar with this planner code might have other opinions...

- Heikki