On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 19:33, David G. Johnston <david.g.johns...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 5:26 PM Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>> I think the ideal solution is to create a section for all the rename
>> cases and do all the redirects to that page.  The page would list the
>> old and new name for each item, and would link to the section for each
>> new item.
>>

> Nothing prevents us from doing that for simple renames.  For me, this
> situation is not a simple rename and the proposed solution is appropriate
> for what it is - changing the implementation details of an existing
> feature.  We can do both - though the simple rename page doesn't seem
> particularly appealing at first glance.

I for one do not like following a bookmark or link and then being
redirected to a generic page that doesn't relate to the specific link I was
following. What is being proposed here is not as bad as the usual, where
all the old links simply turn into redirects to the homepage, but it's
still disorienting. I would much rather each removed page be moved to an
appendix (without renaming) and edited to briefly explain what happened to
the page and provide links to the appropriate up-to-date page or pages.