On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 9:25 AM Craig Ringer
<craig.rin...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Now that we're well on track for streaming logical decoding, it's becoming
> more practical to look at parallel logical apply.
>
> The support for this in pglogical3 benefits from a deadlock detector hook. It
> was added in the optional patched postgres pglogical can use to enable
> various extra features that weren't possible without core changes, but isn't
> present in community postgres yet.
>
> I'd like to add it.
>
> The main benefit is that it lets the logical replication support tell the
> deadlock detector that it should prefer to kill the victim whose txn has a
> higher upstream commit lsn. That helps encourage parallel logical apply to
> make progress in the face of deadlocks between concurrent txns.
>
> Any in-principle objections?

I think it will depend on your exact proposal of the hook but one
thing we might want to consider is whether it is acceptable to invoke
third-party code after holding LWLocks. We acquire LWLocks in
CheckDeadLock and then run the deadlock detector code.

Also, it might be better if you can expand the use case a bit more. It
is not very clear from what you have written.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.