From: Amit Langote <amitlangot...@gmail.com>
> Sorry, I haven't looked at the linked threads and the latest patches
> there closely enough yet, so I may be misreading this, but if the
> inserts will always be done by the leader backend as you say, then why
> does the planner need to be checking the parallel safety of the
> *target* table's expressions?

Yeah, I also wanted to confirm this next - that is, whether the current patch
allows the SELECT operation to execute in parallel but the INSERT operation
serially.  Oracle allows it; it even allows the user to specify a hint after
INSERT and SELECT separately.  Even if INSERT in INSERT SELECT can't be run in
parallel, it is useful for producing summary data, such as aggregating large
amounts of IoT sensor data in parallel and inserting the small amount of
summary data serially.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa