On 2021-01-08 09:54, Amit Langote wrote:
I don't quite recall if the decision to implement it like this was
based on assuming that this is what users would like to see happen in
this case or the perceived difficulty of implementing it the other way
around, that is, of firing AFTER UPDATE triggers in this case.
I tried to look that up, but I couldn't find any discussion about this. Do you
have any ideas in which thread that was handled?
It was discussed here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAJ3gD9do9o2ccQ7j7%2BtSgiE1REY65XRiMb%3DyJO3u3QhyP8EEPQ%40mail.gmail.com

It's a huge discussion, so you'll have to ctrl+f "trigger" to spot
relevant emails.  You might notice that the developers who
participated in that discussion gave various opinions and what we have
today got there as a result of a majority of them voting for the
current approach.  Someone also said this during the discussion:
"Regarding the trigger issue, I can't claim to have a terribly strong
opinion on this. I think that practically anything we do here might
upset somebody, but probably any halfway-reasonable thing we choose to
do will be OK for most people." So what we've got is that
"halfway-reasonable" thing, YMMV. :)

Could you summarize here what you are trying to do with respect to what was decided before? I'm a bit confused, looking through the patches you have posted. The first patch you posted hard-coded FK trigger OIDs specifically, other patches talk about foreign key triggers in general or special case internal triggers or talk about all triggers.