On 17.01.2021 16:53, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:28 AM Peter Eisentraut
<peter.eisentr...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On 2020-12-31 04:28, David Fetter wrote:
This could probably use a lot of filling in, but having it in the
actual documentation beats needing to know folklore even to know
that the capability is there.
This patch seems quite short of a state where one could begin to
evaluate it.  Documenting the hooks better seems a worthwhile goal.   I
think the question is whether we can develop documentation that is
genuinely useful by itself without studying the relevant source code.
This submission does not address that question.
Even just having a list of available hooks would be a nice improvement though :)

But maybe it's something that belongs better in a README file instead,
since as you say it's unlikely to be properly useful without looking
at the source anyway. But just a list of hooks and a *very* high
overview of where each of them hooks in would definitely be useful to
have somewhere, I think. Having to find with "grep" whether there may
or may not exist a hook for approximately what it is you're looking
for is definitely a process to improve on.

+1 for README.
Hooks are intended for developers and can be quite dangerous without proper understanding of the internal code.

I also want to remind about a readme gathered by mentees [1]. It was done under a PostgreSQL license, so we can use it. By the way, is there any agreement on the plain-text format of PostrgeSQL README files or we can use md?

[1] https://github.com/AmatanHead/psql-hooks/blob/master/Detailed.md

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company