On 2/10/21 1:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
What I'm actually more concerned about, in this whole line of development,
is the follow-on requests that will surely occur to kluge up Postgres
to make its behavior more like $whatever.  As in "well, now that we
can serve MySQL clients protocol-wise, can't we pretty please have a
mode that makes the parser act more like MySQL".

Those requests will naturally follow. But I don't see it as the main project's responsibility to satisfy them. It would be rather natural to develop the two things together. The same developer or group of developers, who are trying to connect a certain client, will want to have other compatibility features.

As Jim Mlodgenski just posted in [0], having the ability to also extend and/or replace the parser will give them the ability to do just that.

Regards, Jan

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB_5SReoPJAPO26Z8+WN6ugfBb2UDc3c21rRz9=bzibmcap...@mail.gmail.com

--
Jan Wieck