On 2021-Mar-01, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:

> Uhm, now that you point it out, an absolute path would make the message
> more consistent and reusable.

Well.  This code was introduced in a00c58314745, with discussion at
http://postgr.es/m/CAHeEsBeAe1FeBypT3E8R1ZVZU0e8xv3A-7BHg6bEOi=jzny...@mail.gmail.com
which did not touch on the point of the pg_ctl path being relative or
absolute.  The previous decision to use relative seems to have been made
here in commit ee814b4511ec, which was backed by this discussion
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/200411020134.52513.peter_e%40gmx.net

So I'm not sure that anybody would love me if I change it again to
absolute.

--
Álvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile
Voy a acabar con todos los humanos / con los humanos yo acabaré