On 1/27/21 1:00 AM, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
At Wed, 27 Jan 2021 05:30:29 +0000, "tsunakawa.ta...@fujitsu.com"
<tsunakawa.ta...@fujitsu.com> wrote in
From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota....@gmail.com>
"CREATE TABLE" is not "CREATE LOGGED TABLE". We can assume that as
"CREATE <default logged-ness> TABLE", where the default logged-ness
varies according to context. Or it might have been so since the beginning.
Currently we don't have the syntax "CREATE LOGGED TABLE", but we can add
that syntax.

Yes, I thought of that possibility after a while too.  But I felt a bit(?)
hesitant to do it considering back-patching.  Also, the idea requires ALTER
TABLE ATTACH PARTITION will have to modify the logged-ness property of the
target partition and its subpartitions with that of the parent partitioned
table.  However, your idea is one candidate worth pursuing, including whether
or not to back-patch what.

I think this and all possible similar changes won't be back-patched at
all.  It is a desaster for any establish version to change this kind
of behavior.

  We pursue relasing all fixes at once but we might release all fixes  other
than
some items that cannot be fixed for some technical reasons  at the time, like
REPLICA IDENITTY.

I'm not sure how long we will wait for the time of release, though.

Anyway, we have to define the ideal behavior for each ALTER action based on
some comprehensible principle.  Yeah... this may become a long, tiring journey.
 (I anticipate some difficulty and compromise in reaching agreement, as was
seen in the past discussion for the fix for ALTER TABLE REPLICA IDENTITY.
Scary)

It seems to me that we have agreed that the ideal behavior for ALTER
TABLE on a parent to propagate to descendants. An observed objection
is that behavior is dangerous for operations that requires large
amount of resources that could lead to failure after elapsing a long
time. The revealed difficulty of REPLICA IDENTITY is regarded as a
technical issue that should be overcome.

This thread seems to be stalled. Since it represents a bug fix is there something we can do in the meantime while a real solution is worked out?

Perhaps just inform the user that nothing was done? Or get something into the documentation?

-David
da...@pgmasters.net