On 2/6/21 02:32, Tom Lane wrote:
I wrote:
I think a preferable fix involves making sure that the correct
record-type typmod is propagated to record_in in this context.
Alternatively, maybe we could insert the foreign table's rowtype
during execution of the input operation, without touching the
plan as such.

Here's a draft-quality patch based on that idea.  It resolves
the offered test case, but I haven't beat on it beyond that.

                        regards, tom lane

I played with your patch and couldn't find any errors. But what if ROW operation were allowed to be pushed to a foreign server? Potentially, I can imagine pushed-down JOIN with arbitrary ROW function in its target list.
Amit's approach looks more safe for me.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov