On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 04:24:02PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 02:23:21PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there any reason why this can't be PGC_SIGHUP ?
> >
> > I can't see any reason why this is nontrivial.
>
> I think that we had better let recovery_init_sync_method as
> PGC_POSTMASTER, to stay on the safe side.  SyncDataDirectory() only
> gets called now in the backend code by the startup process after a
> crash at the beginning of recovery, so switching to PGC_SIGHUP would
> have zero effect to begin with.  Now, let's not forget that
> SyncDataDirectory() is a published API, and if anything exterior were
> to call that, it does not seem right to me to make that its behavior
> reloadable at will.

You said switching to SIGHUP "would have zero effect"; but, actually it allows
an admin who's DB took a long time in recovery/startup to change the parameter
without shutting down the service.  This mitigates the downtime if it crashes
again.  I think that's at least 50% of how this feature might end up being
used.

It might be "safer" if fsync were PGC_POSTMASTER, but it's allowed to change at
runtime that parameter, which is much more widely applicable.  I've already
mentioned restart_after_crash, and remove_temp_files_after_crash.

--
Justin